Saturday, May 16, 2009

Saved By The Garden

There isn't all that much left of our summer garden and yet the dying plants are still valiantly producing fruit.

It seems to be slim pickings and high prices in the stores at the moment too. :(

So, I've been particularly thankful for the garden in the past few days. It's so handy being able to grab a few things for the evening meal.

Last night there was just enough silverbeet for a small serve each. Enough to help pad out the other vegetables (including pumpkin, also from the garden).

Tonight there is just enough lettuce (not too many have germinated) to add to our bbq along with homegrown tomato and homegrown pumpkin (on the bbq). Add to that our own eggs and our own lamb chops and there won't be too much of tonight's meal that we haven't produced ourselves. :)

Eventually that's where I'd like to get on a regular basis, rather than an occasional one.

But for now, I'm happy that the small bits I'm still gleaning from the garden are helping pad out our meals.

2 comments:

jeanie said...

Oh yum!

I have finally planted a few bits and bobs in my new patch - the old patches just have lots of basil (self-sufficient on the pesto supply) and one self-germinated corn!!

lightening said...

I love stuff that is self sown. :) I have a tomato plant growing in the lawn near my garden at the moment. Not that it'll have time to fruit before the frosts but it makes me laugh.