Friday, May 1, 2009

International Composting Awareness Week

Composting in the Escuela Barreales, Chile.Image via Wikipedia

May 3rd to May 9th is International Composting Week.

I had no idea there was such a thing!!! It even includes a compost ball. Who'd a thought? I clicked on it thinking it was some newfangled way to make composting easier. LOL. Turns out it's a real live ball. You know, with food and stuff and tickets that are outside of my budget, even if I was close enough to attend!!!!

There's a big push to encourage composting to reduce landfill and the greenhouse gas emissions that are produced as a result of green waste rotting in landfill.

Most gardeners compost because of the value compost has for the garden. It's nice to think though that such a simple act is helping the environment.

Then again, there isn't much about home gardening that doesn't help the environment is there?

I love that the fresh produce from our yard has no food miles attached to it.

Not to mention the freshness and taste.

Anyway, there are heaps of interesting events being held as part of compost awareness week. Pity I live too far away to attend any of them. :(

To celebrate compost awareness week, it would be great if you could share your favourite composting tip.

Mine is:

Feed your scraps to the chooks and they'll kindly turn it into eggs for you.

LOL. I can't say that I've really mastered the other kind of composting yet. But I will keep trying. :)

So, all you wise gardeners out there, share with me your favourite composting tip in the comments section below. :)
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

5 comments:

jeanie said...

Darn - nothing near us, either!!

Turn it - that is my only hint - breaks down faster.

Oh, and don't put it where it will flood and sit in water for days - the compost will break down quickly (yay) but the fetid water will draw looks from suburban neighbours!

Mom said...

I'm new to composting. I started a compost pile at my old house last year, but had to leave it behind when we moved.

I'll be starting a new compost pile here at the new house. Actually, I've begun that process, but haven't actually worked out all the details yet. I've chosen my location and started the pile with a few of the storm blown branches to help provide some aeration when I begin piling on all the other stuff that needs to be transferred from the yard into the pile.

I guess the biggest thing is to realize that the pile will grow a whole lot faster than you anticipated. And as Jeanie said, you have to turn it regularly to help the process along.

LynneFtWorth said...

Keep it turned. That will also keep the ants out. Right now my compost pile is full of fire ants and they have attacked my arm so I will get my DH to turn it to try to get rid of them. They do however make the compost work faster but they sting like fire.

Thats about it, don't really have anymore information, other than layers wet, dry, wet, dry. If it gets too hot and dry, water it a little.

Chookie said...

I second your tip, Lightening! And I'll add:
Moving a chook dome around your vegie patch is much easier than making good compost.

River said...

Like chookie said, use a chook dome to help the veg patch. But have two or three patches. One in production, one just finished production, one with the chook dome. Move the chook dome to the one that has just finished production, the chooks will finish off any veg scraps still in there, they will scratch up the soil, effectively turning it over for you, and they will fertilise it. As you clean scraps and weeds from the productive garden toss them to the chooks along with slugs and snails. The empty patch that you moved the chook dome from, is ready for marking out and planting a couple of weeks after moving the chooks.