Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Final Pickings

I've picked the last of my tomatoes. They're starting to be a bit soft because of the cold but are still quite tasty. I am absolutely ASTOUNDED to be picking tomatoes in JUNE!!!! Awesome!!!! We've had about 6 months worth of pickings from 1 planting of tomatoes. I can't really plant any earlier due to late frosts and it would seem from this year's experience that there isn't a lot of point in planting any later plants.

I did plant 2 varieties this year (okay, technically last year when I planted them but you know what I mean) but I think the Mighty Red did a lot better than the other variety (the name of which escapes me right now) so I think I'll try them again next summer.

The single zucchini plant I planted late has produced well and finally come to a halt.

I'm still picking lettuce and will continue to do so until I get around to mulching the garden before we go away (which I'd better hurry up and do given we leave in 3 weeks).

I'm going to miss the little surprises my garden brings me while we're away. :)

3 comments:

LynneFtWorth said...

I love reading about your garden. Though I freak out everytime y'all mention winter. Because right now it is just 9 am and about 85F degrees already heading to upper 90F's this afternoon. When y'all mention temps over 100F IN our winter that freaks me out too. I am not a winter person, maybe it is the joing pain that comes with the cold, I don't know. All I know is bring on the heat.

How cold is an average winter temp down there? Our winters here in Texas are ususlly in the 30F at night and around 40-50F during the day. Our coldest months are Jan and Feb with sometime temps in the 20F at night and 30F during the day. When it ices or snows everyting closes down.

Well I have rambled on and on and need to be working.

I look forward to reading about all your travels. It is wonderful you are going to be able to experience this while your children are young and can go with you.

lightening said...

It is the strange thing about blogging isn't it? The differences in seasons and temps etc. It does depend on where you live in Australia as to what the minimum temps get to. We have some places where you get ice and snow but not here where we live. Hopefully someone else can answer your question as I'm not sure how to convert to F. We use Celsius here which is a metric measure.

lightening said...
This comment has been removed by the author.