Friday, April 3, 2009

Strawberry Struggles

StrawberryImage via Wikipedia

I am just not winning with my strawberry plants. I get the occasional strawberry that isn't very large but for the most part I wouldn't say they are fruiting prolifically. :(

For a while I had some in pots on the front verandah but thought it might be too hot there in the summer (west side of the house) so I've moved them. Now I think they might be too shaded.

I'm not sure. Some people say they need light and others say they're a good shade plant. I know my mum used to grow heaps of them underneath the fruit trees and we often had an abundance.

What am I doing wrong? I need some help here!

Anyone got any strawberry growing tips for me?
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

4 comments:

Chookie said...

Firstly, you need to rip out the old plants and replace them with runners every few years. Secondly, you need to make sure that there are no marauding children around. I'm having trouble with the second point!

preacherman said...

I think they take lots of water.
My youngest son loves strawberrys. Yes, everything from strawberry milk to strawberry's as a whole. He could eat an entire box of strawberry's if we let him. Any whooo. I want to let you know I enjoyed your post and blog. I will be reading from time to time as my health allows. Keep up the great work and have an excellent weekend! :-)

River said...

Take heed of your mum's garden and plant them under your fruit trees. Strawberries were originally an "under" crop, the richness of the soil needed for fruit trees and the dappled sun/shade conditions were perfect for them. of course strawberries way back then were much smaller fruit, it's only in recent times they have been bred to be huge. I personally think the tiny fully ripened ones have much more flavour.

lightening said...

Chookie - LOL about the children. Will have to see what's going on. :) Bummer about having to replace them every few years... :(

Preacherman - Yeah, I think water might be the problem. Thanks for reading. Sorry it's been a while between posts.

River - once we get some established and a watering system, I think I'll do that. thanks.