Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Tomatoes Out & Cabbages In

Today I pulled out the last of the tomato plants, making room to plant out the second half of my punnet of red cabbages.

The garden is starting to look a little less "feral" now that the dying tomato plants have been removed.

While I was out there I also yanked the last zucchini plant out - only to find 2 zucchini's attached!!!! Glad I got to them before the bugs. That was a rather nice surprise. One is nice and large too!!! Yeah, apparently the big ones aren't CALLED zucchini's but you know what I mean. :)

I'd noticed one of my cabbages had been chewed a little but today the damage hasn't increased.

Is it true that they say to put egg shells around cabbages to dissuade the cabbage moths? Something about them thinking another moth has already set up a nest there?

I know, I could google it. But I figured that's what I have you guys for!!!! Answering all my questions when I can't be bothered doing a google search. :) Do you feel all nice and wanted and useful now???? Very good!!!!

It was a nice day for being out in the garden. Not too hot and not too cold. Probably just what the doctor ordered in actual fact.

I would like to know one thing though....

How does dirt get under your fingernails when you're wearing gloves??????????

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what the effect of eggshells on the white cabbage moth is, however I do know that it stops the snails from crawling into your cabbages & slowly feasting away in delight from inside out... or outside in! I am about to experiment with a "beer canal" in our next container pot & will use the eggshells as a back up plan if needbe. We have placed eggshells in our Herb containers to pursuade the snails there.
I know cabbage moth hated that old Tomato Dust stuff, which I have been told was removed from sale due to health issues. However the vegetable dust does the same job if you want to use it. I wonder what fine ash would do to help?......

jeanie said...

I know the snails and eggshells theory but have never heard it applied to moths. I have no answers, given that we gave our wombok over to the insects last season.

I too wonder about the fingernail dirt. I can only assume that it does work in through the gloves or is already entrapped in the gloves.

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

Thanks Socko I wanted to know too.
WE just planted some wombok too and new cauli seedlings -after the bugs ate the other ones.

I have some huge white zucchinis still growing.

lightening said...

Thanks Socko and Jeanie. From what I've read today, it's the grubs that cause the damage anyway so the crushed eggshells sound like they'll be a goer (more so than the egg-shell halves I've put out there so far).

lightening said...

baby-amore - I've not seen white zucchini's. What are they like?