Monday, April 28, 2008

Oh Bother!!!

The other day I noticed my broccoli seedlings were looking a little on the weak and pale side and thought perhaps they needed a little bit of fresh air and sunshine to perk them up a bit. So I took their little soft-drink bottle covers off.

This morning when I went to check on them they are GONE!!! All munch, munch, munched....*sob* Just a tiny green stalk left as a reminder of what used to be......

I've put the covers back on with fingers crossed those little stalks are brave enough to send out new leaves.

Think I'm going to have to retry with the broccoli seeds. *sigh*

Me and broccoli just don't seem to be getting along so well. I'm just not a good mumma to those little babies. :(

5 comments:

River said...

You could try a tip I read in a permaculture magazine once. Plant twice as many seeds as you think you'll need, protect half until you think they're big enough, then even if the bugs get some there should still be enough for you. Or something like that.

Anonymous said...

I have the same issue with Sunflower seedlings amongst other things, believe it or not! I even had them underneath a verandah area that had chicken-wire fencing along one side of it. This did not deter the little buggers!

We now have 2 small greenhouses (2 shelves & on wheels) which we purchased for a mere $10 each at Big W one day. Needless to say since buying them, my propagation has increased in numbers & our Asian Greens which were struggling in size when we first moved here have now grown to almost 8 times their size since being placed inside!

Good luck with your next batch of seedlings. I dare say the last few have seen better days. Our fingers are crossed for you, cos ya just never know!

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

oh dear ... the sods.it happened to all of my seedlings - 3 chinese cabbage/3 cabbage and my cauliflower
I am going to plant some more too ...

Anonymous said...

Face the truth.I know it's hard,this coming to grips with reality but it must be done.

There is a war being fought in gardens across Australia and, for all I know, the entire globe.

It's those gastropods!!!!!

Jayne said...

An old seed planting rhyme I heard sums it up-
"One for the snail, one for the crow, one to rot and one to grow".
Spray the seedlings with some soapy water and garlic powder, the green caterpillars that munch on them loathe the taste of the soap and garlic.
Start afresh with more seeds, too;)