Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Procrastination

I'm not in the mood to do much today. So I took my cup of tea and camera outside for a wander. We recently got some new baby chooks (they're not really chickens anymore but not fully grown either). The plan is to get a few each year. They should start laying before the other go off the lay and fingers crossed we'll get a reasonably consistent supply of eggs this way.



Here are some photo's of our older chooks. Aren't they just so beautiful???



Look at how barren and dry the ground is!!!! :(


And around the back of the chook house I found this!!!



It must have grown from a seed. Sadly, if it doesn't rain soon, I don't think we'll get anything off it. However, I have been constantly surprised and amazed by the tenacity some plants have to survive and thrive.

Pity my broccoli didn't have the same tenacity. The chances of it coming back are looking mighty slim. :( I was going to shove a few more seeds in today but do you think I can find the packet???

Oh well, I poked in a few peas instead.

While poking about in the garden I also found another zucchini growing on a plant. I thought I had pulled them all out but not so. We're not getting HEAPS from the garden at the moment but the few bits we are getting are certainly helping with the grocery budget at the moment. Vegetables seem to have gone through the roof in price these past couple of weeks.

We've always been regular carrot eaters but with carrots now up over the $2 per kilo mark, we might need to be eating some other varieties of vegetable. Or make pumpkin our primary yellow veg and carrot the secondary (given we have free pumpkins at the moment).

3 comments:

jeanie said...

I am sure the only way to grow pumpkin is from an errant seed in the compost, isn't it?

I envy you your zucchinis - here it is too hot for everything right now STILL...

Jayne said...

Good luck with the garden, Lightening, fingers crossed you (and us) get some decent rain soon.
Love the chooks, we've got a couple of Isa Browns too, they've got nice natures.
Vegie prices are unbelievable now, and it's not like the growers are seeing the profits either, which makes me cross.

River said...

I love brown hens.There's a large yard not too far away from my home that has brown hens in the side yard. We takes walks down their street just to see them.